Sunday 22 June 2014

Human nature to make mistakes

I am the boss at my workplace. Whenever any of my staff does anything wrong, I will call her up to my room for explanation. I will listen to what she has to say and then give a piece of my mind. I rarely scold them. I never raise my voice. But I could be annoyingly strict at times. I do not tolerate trivial mistakes at work. When mistakes are made, I look at them as irresponsible or not using their brains. I demand an explanation every time someone makes a mistake. They tremble just to find the right words to justify their actions. Once they are done, it usually ends up with me correcting them and telling them not to repeat their mistakes. Ever again.

The good side of things (I think) is that I do not belittle them. But I expect them to do their work perfectly. Anything short of perfection is considered as terrible. I expect a lot from them. Maybe too much. Coz once they make a mistake, they put people's lives at stake. But I forgot that they are all humans. And humans make mistakes.

Till I made a mistake today that could possibly jeapordise my career. Kill me as well if I was unlucky. I hurt a person as a result of the mistake that I sincerely erred without the intention to cause harm. I finally did what everyone else does. Being human. 

Guess making mistakes once in a while brings us back down to earth. They make me realise that I am human after all. A tough fact to embrace. But yes, I am just human. So are my staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment